As a health care consumer, it’s important that you receive quality care and treatment and also minimize your costs—such as paycheque contributions and out-of-pocket costs—when you use your medical plan. The information and tools below can help you manage your costs as you choose and use care throughout the year.
Learn How To…
Top Five Health-Saving Tips
- Take charge of your health. Use the preventive services to help you stay healthy and obtain more effective care. Use the health assessment offered through the Health & Wellness Companion Web site to understand your health risks, and make a commitment to stay healthy and live a healthier lifestyle.
- Work with your doctor to manage your prescription drug costs. When your doctor is prescribing a medication, always ask if there’s a less expensive option available—such as a 90-day maintenance prescription or an over-the-counter alternative that doesn’t require a prescription. More info.
- Understand how to read and question items on bills. Always know what you’re paying for and question any charges that you don’t understand or that may not be appropriate. Learn more.
- Choose the right amount of coverage. Buying more coverage than you need costs you more money. Before you enrol for your 2009 benefits this fall, be sure to use the new tools Nortel will provide to help you find the most cost-effective health care option for you, based on the way you and your eligible dependents actually use health care.
- Use your Health Care Reimbursement Account. If you have out-of-pocket health care expenses and leftover Benefits Credits, you’re leaving money on the table. Direct your leftover Benefits Credits to the Health Care Reimbursement Account and save. More info.